NAMI Basics is a free, 6-session educational program for parents and family caregivers of children and teens, up to age 17, who are experiencing emotional or behavioral challenges. NAMI Basics is offered in a group setting so you can connect with other people face-to-face.
You’ll learn the facts about emotional and behavioral health conditions and how best to support your child at home, at school and when they’re getting care.
The course is taught by a trained team with lived experience—they know what you’re going through because they’ve been there. The 6-session program provides critical strategies for taking care of your child and learning the ropes of recovery.
What You’ll Gain
At NAMI Basics, you’ll find out that you’re not alone. Recovery is a journey, and there is hope. The group setting of NAMI Basics provides mutual support and shared positive impact—you can experience compassion and reinforcement from people who understand your situation. You also can help others with your own experience.
NAMI Basics covers the following for the caregiver:
- Managing crises, solving problems and communicating effectively
- Self-care and stress management
- Developing the confidence and stamina to support your child with compassion
- Advocating for your child’s rights at school and in health care settings
- Learning about current treatments, including evidence-based therapies, medications and side effects
- Gaining an overview of the public emotional and behavioral health care, school and juvenile justice systems
- Understanding the challenges and impact of emotional and behavioral health conditions on your entire family
Sign Up For Class
**Dates and times: To Be Determined**
Any questions please contact the class instructors: