Principles of Support Groups
Our Principles of Support for people diagnosed with a mental illness and
their adult family/friends:
- We see the individual first, not the illness.
- We recognize that mental illnesses are brain disorders.
- We aim for better coping skills
- We find strength in sharing experiences.
- We reject stigma in ourselves and others.
- We won’t judge anyone’s pain as less than our own.
- We forgive ourselves and reject guilt.
- We embrace humor as healthy.
- We accept that we cannot resolve all problems.
- We expect a better future in a realistic way.
- We will never give up hope.