Family to Family Classes
Dates: To Be Announced
Time: 8:00 – 11:00 am
Where it meets: To Be Announced
For questions or more information contact: email@example.com or call affiliate phone (309) 287-9913
NOTE: It IS allowable to re-take the class!
NOTE: This class is for caregivers only and not for individuals that are diagnosed with a mental health condition
To register online click here: REGISTER
What is NAMI’s Family-to-Family Program?
- The NAMI Family-to-Family Education Program is a free, 12-week course for family caregivers of individuals with severe mental illnesses.
- The course is taught by trained family members
- All instruction and course materials are free to class participants
- Over 300,000 family members have graduated from this national program
A tribute video containing moving testimonials about the NAMI Family-to-Family program from family members and course instructors.
What does the course include?
- Current information about schizophrenia, major depression, bipolar disorder (manic depression), panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, borderline personality disorder, and co-occurring brain disorders and addictive disorders
- Up-to-date information about medications, side effects, and strategies for medication adherence
- Current research related to the biology of brain disorders and the evidence-based, most effective treatments to promote recovery
- Gaining empathy by understanding the subjective, lived experience of a person with mental illness
- Learning in special workshops for problem solving, listening, and communication techniques
- Acquiring strategies for handling crises and relapse
- Focusing on care for the caregiver: coping with worry, stress, and emotional overload
- Guidance on locating appropriate supports and services within the community
- Information on advocacy initiatives designed to improve and expand services